Week 5 Story: The Story of Sita


"Rama's great, Rama's good, Rama does what Rama should," Sita hummed softly to herself, as she dipped her brush into her paint and pulled it smoothly across the canvas, which was turning into a brilliant landscape of the garden she was surrounded by.

Sita's Landscape, Garden with Path

The walls of her cabin held many such canvases, for she had been living in exile in the grounds by Ravana's castle for several years now. A lot of the paintings were of various landscapes--the gardens she was currently in, the view from the castle where she grew up, and the forest she had lived in with Rama before her capture. Then there were the portraits--her best friends from home, and her family, but most were of Rama. His face was so handsome, filled with an inner peace and confidence none of her suitors had held before. And now, since it had been so long since she'd seen him, the paintings were all she had to go by to really remember the details of his features.

"Sita! Is it time to start cooking dinner yet?" a cheerful voice rang out, interrupting Sita's concentration.

"Absolutely, be right there!" she called back.

The girl who called out to Sita was named Maria, and she was one of the maidens Ravana had ordered to spend time in the garden with Sita and keep her company. Over the years, the two of them, as well as a few others, had become fast friends. They often enjoyed cooking together--it was a hobby Sita had picked up, and they loved picking fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden, and combining the spices in just the right way to draw out the best flavors. As a princess, she had always had people cook for her, but now Sita had the time and independence to do more for herself, and she found an immense satisfaction in cooking.

As the girls cooked, they also kept up a constant chatter, the current topic of conversation a common one.

"But what if he isn't coming?" Maria asked. "Or, what if when he comes, he isn't as perfect as you remember?"

"He'll come," Sita assured her. "And even if he's changed, he's still my Rama, and my love for him burns as brightly as the stars in the heavens. I will love him as perfectly as I am able, and I'm confident that that love will be reciprocated, either in this life or in another."

Maria and Sita didn't realize that was the last time they'd have that conversation, because the very next day, frantic action began at Ravana's castle, and the girls quickly heard rumors that Rama was coming!

The next week passed in a blur. They were sheltered from most of the battle in the garden, but the skies were dark with shadows; giant purple raksashas and monkeys flying overhead, and so many thousands of arrows. The cries of battle faded to the background to Sita though, who sang a joyous tune: "My oh my/ me oh me/ Guess I'm havin company/ Who's that knocking at my door?"

Finally, Sita saw her first glance of Rama in almost twelve years. His face had thinned out, and he had numerous cuts and scrapes from the battle, but his arms looked as strong as she always remembered when they were wrapped around her, and the confidence in his demeanor was impossible to miss. All she wanted to do was run into his embrace, but something stopped her.

"Hiya," she said shyly, with a smile at Rama.

When his eyes met hers, she let out a little gasp. They were as piercingly blue as she remembered, but there was a darkness in there, a distrust that she had never seen before. For the first time, she was scared by the love of her life.

That was why she wasn't entirely surprised when Rama said to her, "I have done my duty in freeing you, but you have lived with another man for twelve years now. You are the most beautiful woman in the world- how could he have resisted you? The thought of you with someone else tortures me, and I can't see you without thinking about it."

Sita's heart broke a little bit. Oh, if only he could have seen her all these years, with only the flowers and her maidens for company! If only he had seen the way she rejected Ravana's advances again and again, if only his faith in true love matched hers. If only there was a way to show him.

Then it hit her, what she had said to Maria: "My love for him burns so brightly." Of course! She would use fire to show him how strong she had been all these years. She immediately had Rama's men (well, monkeys) build a pyre, 10 feet tall with flames that leapt into the night sky. She walked confidently into it, knowing nothing could touch the inner purity of her love for Rama.

As the fire god carried her safely out of the flames, Sita looked at Rama. The darkness was still there, but it was muted now, and his face was lit up in a smile. She knew that their trials were far from over, but at least now they would be able to tackle them together. Wouldn't they?

Sita Enters the Flames
Author's Note: Watching "Sita Sings the Blues" by Nina Patel made me want to also put the focus of the story on Sita. What I don't think the video accomplished, however, was making Sita more multi-dimensional than just a lovesick woman who thinks only of Rama. I retold the scene of Sita and Rama's reunion, but I focused first on building Sita's personality, showing her love of Rama integrated into her interests and hobbies that she's developed on her own, and friends she's made. I kept her devotion to him, but really tried to help the reader get to know Sita, and maybe feel more sympathetic for her plight, because otherwise, I feel like it can be easy to just get frustrated at the situation and say, "Why doesn't she stick up for herself? Why doesn't she leave him?" especially knowing what happens later on in the plot. I tried to bring details from the movie into my story as well, such as the songs Sita sings.

Comments

  1. I definitely agree with you that the “Sita Sings the Blues” film portrays Sita as nothing more than a woman in love, so I really like that your story gave Sita some real characteristics. Reading about what she liked paint and the other activities she enjoyed in her pastime gave me a glimpse into the thoughts and interests of Sita in your story. I love your first picture and being able to image where she was held captive based on that painting. It was unclear in the story whether or not Maria died. I was expecting some insight into what Sita felt when she realized she was never going to see her friends again. I think that would have made me feel even more empathetic for all of Sita’s pain in this journey. This could add to the different layers of pain she felt too, giving her even more independence from Rama than the other stories gave her. I would love to hear about the part of the Ramayana when Hanuman came and tried to save Sita because according to the “Sita Sings the Blues” film commentary, Sita refused to leave with Hanuman. I wonder what Sita’s reasoning is for not leaving. There are many possibilities there; she could talk about her new friend she made, about her distrust after the trauma she has been through, or maybe about her dedication and respect for Rama. Great job spicing up Sita’s character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this compared to the comic book was a little different still gave me very Romeo and Juliet vibes. I think your version was beautifully told. I really enjoy the aspect of that you made a point to make Sita more than a love stricken woman because she was a goddess in her own right and had a very colorful childhood and I enjoyed that. I also like how you trailed off in the end even though we know she gave herself back to the Earth it leaves the reader thinking which makes you remember a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your story! I liked that you added more dimension to her character. I also liked how the use of modern language helped to make this story more relatable! In some ways, Sita and all of her paintings reminded me of Rapunzel’s character in Tangled. That might be a fun story variation....totally just a thought though! I would love to hear a little more backstory on Maria, since she is a new character to us. Overall though, I thought you created a really wonderful story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Abby! I really enjoyed your story. I also thought that it was strange that Sita was such a one-dimensional character in the Ramayana. Up until after she was rescued, it seemed like Sita was only written for her love for Rama. I enjoyed that your story dove deeper into the story of the rescue of Sita to give her more depth!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment