Storybook Favorites

The First Story: The Karma Diaries

This Storybook initially captured my attention because the concept of karma is used in everyday interactions, whether as a comforting thought ("He'll get what's coming to him), or a warning ("Watch out, karma may come back to bite you"). This storybook changed how I thought about karma by seeing it personified. I thought it was interesting the shift from first person to third between the Introduction and the Cases, and I thought it worked well, because it put me on the side of Karma from the beginning, and then allowed the cases to be played out like the reader was witnessing them in the courtroom. Overall, the style seemed to be a good fit for the stories, the formatting was clean, and the tales interesting.

The Second Story: The Beginning of the End

This Storybook told a creationist tale that I found incredibly fascinating. How the world came to be is something that humans have always tried to answer, and seeing how that story changes over time, culture, and religion, and what parallels or themes form, is intriguing. What made me want to keep reading in the Introduction was the idea that all of life stemmed from a golden egg, and that everything in the universe is cyclical. I drew connections to themes in Christianity, where there is one overall Creator, an omniscient being that knows everything but cannot act to change it, as well as the idea of life on earth being wiped out by a great flood and rebuilt. The writing style to me seemed choppy and a little simplistic, and I found some inconsistency with regards to the egg--was it responsible for all the material in the universe, as seemed implied by the first story, or just for life specifically, as it seemed at the very end?

The Third Story: Lord of Infinity

This Storybook was about the god Krishna (shown below). It was interesting how Krishna was portrayed as Bhagavan, existing everywhere throughout time and space, but also as very specifically the 8th avatar of Vishnu. The concept of an infinity inside a more finite being I thought was cool and portrayed well by the author, because those two ideas sound difficult to reconcile. This Storybook also used photos throughout the stories more than the other ones I saw which I liked, and I enjoyed how much personality the author was able to put into Krishna.

"A Calm and Serene Krishna with his Animal Companions"
Flickr



Comments