Week 2 Reading Overview

When we begin reading Ramayana, I am going to read R.K. Narayan's version. I think this will be more enjoyable because I enjoy reading novels, and I'd like the consistency of reading the book in the same style, rather than in an anthology. I also chose to read a hard copy rather than digital, because I do a lot of reading on my laptop and this will mix it up a bit.

Videos I explored: 

Rama and the Ramayana: Crash Course World Mythology #27

I chose to watch the Crash Course video because I like the format of them, and I know they pack a lot of good content into the videos, and I wanted a broader overview of the Ramayana. The story seems intriguing (there are a lot more monkeys than I was expecting), and I'm excited to read the book. One part that stood out to me was Sita's determination to only be saved by Rama, even though she was risking death by not taking her first opportunity at rescue (Sita in Exile pictured below).

Sita in Exile Source

The Source- Who created the universe?

This video caught my attention because I enjoy thinking about questions such as these, and learning more about how different cultures and religions answer them. It ended up being unsatisfying- the gist of the video was "the universe is too vast to possibly know all the answers," which is valid but I do't feel like I learned anything from it.

Comics I explored:

Krishna and Rukmini: A Love that will not be Denied

In the stories I've looked at so far, Krishna is definitely a recurring character, so I would be interested to read some more about him. He appears to have a lot of enemies.

The Hidden Treasure: Wisdom wins a war

I think I would enjoy reading some more folktales; I'm not sure why this one in particular caught my attention, but the description sounds interesting, reading about the various tests a prince must pass to reclaim his kingship.

Comments