Feedback Strategies (Giving and Receiving)

Week 2: Feedback for Learning

Why Rejection Hurts so much- and what to do about it
ideas.ted.com

I definitely find feedback to be an important part of growth, and think of myself as someone that receives feedback fairly well. I would rather feedback be kind of harsh but concrete and productive than wishy washy, but it being well-meaning is important to me too. The article I read focused on something that I definitely struggle with, so I found applicable--it was about rejection, and why our feelings about it are so strong, and how to manage it.

The argument for why it happens makes sense--those who are affected most strongly by rejection are more likely to change their actions to prevent it occurring in the future, and therefore are more likely to integrate themselves into a society. I think being open to rejection is an important part of human interaction--it makes us vulnerable, which is why it's scary, but it's how you're able to open up to and get closer to people as well. Several strategies they listed included not tolerating self-criticism, reminding yourself of your own self-worth, and boosting feelings of social connection. Of those, I'm pretty good at minimizing self criticism and not internalizing a rejection, and I definitely use the social connection the most-- if someone cancels plans with me, for example, I'll almost immediately reach out to someone else to fill that gap. I'm not entirely sure that is the best way to handle it to be honest, but the article recommends it so it must have some validity.

Week 3: How to Give Feedback

Part A: What I liked best about the feedback examples I scrolled through was how concrete/actionable they are. Saying "this was repetitive" or "this doesn't make sense" isn't as helpful as saying "You said x several times in these last sentences" or "This description was confusing- could you elaborate on x?"

This graphic summarizes it well:
Make it RED: Advice from John Bunker

Part B:
How to provide great feedback when you're not in charge
fs.blog

Giving feedback is an important part of my role as captain of the ultimate frisbee team. Especially when I have new players, I want to teach them how to throw and the mechanics of the game, without discouraging them from playing and working on the steep learning curve that comes with it. I found this article gave some helpful points that can be applied to both practices and blog post comments.

Making a distinction between different types of feedback (appreciation, advice, and evaluation) is a good idea. I think it would be most helpful to be intentional with what kind of feedback you want to give, and be aware of the relative quantities you're giving each type. Also, even when just giving praise, keeping in mind the benefits of concrete praise so that you reinforce specific actions rather than just trying to make someone happy or motivated will stretch the benefits of that praise.

Comments