Week 10 Lab: Storybook Research

This one is definitely going to be a useful lab for me this week because I'm really not solid on the sources and where I want my remaining stories to go in my storybook project. Hopefully this post will help consolidate my thoughts and prove a useful resource for the rest of my storybook writing.

I'm not sure if this is quite what I'm supposed to do for this assignment, but as I do my background research my focus is going to be on brainstorming how the Tridevi (my goddess narrators) can fit naturally into the stories.

My next story, The Great Fish
Source: Matsya Avatar

First, I went on a hunt for an image I could use for this story. The story really strongly reminded me of a childhood book called "A Fish out of Water" which was about a boy who overfed his goldfish, and it quickly outgrew every container it was placed in, from bowl to bathtub to swimming pool, etc.


A Fish out of Water (Earlymoments.com)
More realistically, I'll use an image depicting the fish like this:

The fish pulling the boat out of the flood (Source)

This image comes from this website, which has its own version of Matsya Avatar. It's a good source to cross-reference with the original one I found I think. Alternatively, I could use an image that conveys more the fish-avatar combo: 
Matsya Avatar of Vishnu (Source)
I'm sure either one will work.

This story I'm having told by Saraswati. She's the intellectual component of the Tridevi, and Brahma's consort. She will be the most interesting one to write I think because creation is so close to her heart, with Brahma, as well as the tendency I'm giving her to try to think more critically about the stories, and to look at them big-picture. However, Lakshmi's input will also be important to this story, because Vishnu plays a pretty prominent role in it, and she's Vishnu's consort. In fact, this story is about the first avatar of Vishnu. 

I think I might have Lakshmi complain about Vishnu being a fish, or maybe admiring his golden appearance, and relating it to her egg? 

At first I had this story being told by Saraswati because she appreciates the acknowledgement of Manu, or man, playing a role in creation. Therefore, I should remember that and make it a point to keep it throughout the story, playing up the role of Manu in it and not just focusing on the fish. Maybe I'll have her point out how illogical it is that he trusts the growing fish when he says he's afraid of bigger fish, and have Durga jump in and say he's being kind/trusting/acting with integrity/according to dharma.









Comments