Week 8 Reading and Writing

To start, I changed the color theme of my blog and added a little "Profile" gadget to the side. Small tweaks, but still fun!

First, looking back at the Reading assignments I've done for this class so far:
I think my notes have gotten a little better over time. My biggest problem, which I definitely still trend towards, is making the notes more like annotations through my reading, just little comments and questions/opinions, rather than trying to focus in in more detail on fewer parts. I have gotten better about picking out stories I think I'd like to expand on though, and making those notes more detailed. Overall, my notes have proved decently useful in my storytelling, and they do help me maximize engagement with the reading, although they probably add more time to the process than they need to.

It's been fun to see my writing shift a bit over the semester. The first story I wrote was a very straightforward recap--I changed hardly anything, and didn't add much of my own style into it. The next one got a little better, changing the context and characters around a bit, but still not very much. The latter two stories I feel like I began to branch out more, taking the stories I read but then using them as jumping off points for who I wanted my characters to be, or if they were familiar, how I wanted to add dimensions to them. I'm not sure how accurate my assessment is but to me it feels like the writing and creativity is improving. Below is an image I used in the first story I felt like my writing was improving and I added more to the story I started with, which was my Week 5 story:

Image used in my blog in The Story of Sita (link to post)

I'm excited to see where my Project is going, but I feel less invested in it than the blog as of right now. Maybe once I find more stories and really start the writing for it it'll start a positive feedback loop that will help it grow. I am quite proud of the Intro though.

My favorite reading was honestly probably the Jataka tales we read really early on--I'm very glad we read the two epics that we did, but I enjoyed the anthology a lot.

Looking forward: Spend a little less time on the reading/reading notes, and keep growing in creativity. Reading others' stories has definitely helped with that, and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

Comments